In a solemn function held at the premises of the Vijaya Hospital with Semmangudi Srinivasa Aiyer offering the prayer, Mrs (Dr) T Agarwal inaugurated the project.
On the auspicious day of Vinayaka Chaturthi, the sixth day of September in the year 1978, the hospital came into existence.
It was named Sankara Nethralaya, which means "The Temple of the Eye". The long journey for vision with a mission began.
Sankara Nethralaya today has grown into a super specialty institution for ophthalmic care and receives patients from all over the country and abroad. It has gained international excellence and is acclaimed for its quality care and compassion. The Sankara Nethralaya family today has over 1400 individuals with one vision – to propagate the Nethralaya philosophy; the place of our work is an Alaya and Work will be our worship, which we shall do with sincerity, dedication and utmost love with a missionary spirit.